It's worth whatever you may seem to give up or lose. If one must sacrifice integrity for anything or anyone, than it/they were not worth having. Trust me on this one. There is nothing I have lost that is material, nor anyone that has removed themselves from me, because of my unwillingness to sacrifice principle, that upon reflection would have been worth it. Although not as popular as it once was, living for the right, doing the right thing, being selfless, standing on right principle, and maintaining a good name, are still how God measures ones character. When it is all said and done, no one will speak a eulogy on how much money a person amassed in their lifetime, or how big their firm is, or how big their house was, or how famous they were, or how many or big their cars were, or how big their stock accounts are, etc. It won't matter. Nothing goes with us. Vanity, vanity, is all vanity?
It's God's will that one should work hard and enjoy the good things of life, to a point. However, the only true value of money is how it can be used to help and bless others. All that we have and own is lent to us by God. Our minds, our bodies, our talents, our money. We will all have to give an account for all that is given us and how they were used to His Glory, not ours.
How does one get to understand this and find their way to decrease importance of self? It ain't easy as it goes against the natural heart of mankind.
But, there is a way and it begins with a dedicated prayer life, the breath of the soul. There also are health benefits of prayer including:
- Prayer gives you freedom from anxiety, with an increased ability to cope with illness, death, or disability.
- Prayer helps you deal with depression, leading to a faster recovery.
- Prayer leads to an increased life span and decreased mortality.
- Prayer allows you to have better health overall.
How to start or improve your own prayer life? There are seven steps one can follow:
- Find a quiet place in your place of residence where you can go every day.
- Read a few verses out of your Bible. You might want to start with reading the book of Psalms. Psalms is the compilation of King David's prayers and songs he made before God.
- After you have read a small section of Scripture, spend some time in quiet reflection before God. During this time quietly say thank You to God for what He has done in your life recently.
- Continue in your quiet reflection and prayer before God by confessing any sin you have committed and asking His forgiveness for it.
- Ask God to supply your needs or the needs of a friend. Reflect upon these needs and ask Him to supply them, one by one.
- Close your prayer time with a short time of praise for who God is, i.e., praise Him for His sovereignty, etc.
- Make this time of quiet reflection a daily event in your life. Make a commitment to it, just as you would your work, play, family, or church.
As always, the choice is yours. The power and blessings are available for the asking. What is important to us is what we will make time for.
Peace and joy I pray for you.